The Galleria Borghese (Borghese Gallery in English) is one of Rome’s must-see museums: it is inside the Villa Borghese park and surrounded by the greenery and beauty of its gardens. The villa used to be the summer and party mansion of the Borghese family and now it belongs to the Italian state.
- Famous paintings and sculptures of all time. You can admire some of the most famous works by Caravaggio, Bernini and Canova. The Boghese Gallery has two floors and a basement, where you cand find the ticket office, the Museum shop and a cafè. The main floor is mostly devoted to great sculptures like Bernini’s “Apollo and Daphne” and Canova’s “Pauline Bonaparte” and some of the major artworks by Caravaggio like “Boy with a basket of fruit”; the other one hosts 16th, 17th and 18th centuries paintings by Rubens, Raphael and Titian, among others.
- You can find different kinds of artworks: from Ancient Roman sculptures to the Egyptian art; from the Mannerist paintings of the 16th century to the breathtaking sculptures of 17th century. The villa itself is a piece of art: walls and ceilings are magnificently adorned.
- The museum is never really crowded, because they only allow 360 people at once. You must reserve in advance (booking requires for all ticket types) and choose the time you’ll be there: you have two hours to complete your visit.
- The museum is in the Villa Borghese park and you can have a walk before (or after) your visit, which is always a nice experience.
- You can nourish your soul and spend a lovely morning or afternoon in one of the most beautiful places in the Eternal city, just a few steps away from its most famous monuments and piazzas.
The Borghese Gallery is open Tuesday-sunday from 9 am to 7 pm. It is closed Mondays, December 25, January 1 and May 1. It is free the first Sunday of the month (but you need to book anyway). The Borghese Gallery is one of the sites available to visit with the Roma Pass. Audio guides are available for hire in Italian English, Spanish and German. For more information you can visit the website www.gebart.it.